Filed under: Uncategorized
Yeah….life got busy. I’ve had work events non-stop for the last few weeks, and running/volunteer stuff filled up the rest of my time. The first of my half marathons (the fun-run – Nike Women’s Half Marathon with V) this fall is complete, as is my 10k (I set a PR with the 10k!). I have one more half marathon coming up in mid-November, then after that I may shift into maintenance mileage as I ponder 1) is there a marathon in my future? and 2) how do I tone up my mid-section?
But anyway, here’s what I’ve been cooking lately, the short version:
- Granola. I’m still working with the Baked granola recipe, but I added a tsp of ginger and replaced one of the two kinds of nuts with pumpkin seeds. Nice and seasonal.
- Sauteed kale. Why yes, I’m turning into a hippy-dippy Californian. I boil kale for 10 minutes, rinse it, then sautee for a few minutes with onion and garlic. My other variation is to add a can of tomatoes during the sauteeing (self-canned if possible!) and toss all of it with fettuccine or similar long thin noodle.
- Cold brewed coffee. I’ve been wanting to try this for so long! I finally bought a pitcher and tried Smitten Kitchen’s cold-brewed iced coffee recipe. The results were satisfactory but a bit underwhelming, which may be due to using almond milk rather than cream/higher fat milk (like Blue Bottle’s iced coffee.) But it’s certainly not a bad way to get my morning caffeine fix.
- Hummus. After disliking Mark Bittman’s recipe, I gave the Veganomicon recipe a shot. I will possibly devote a post to hummus comparison amongst my many cookbooks, but right now, Veganomicon is best because more oil & less tahini = tasty.
- Dorie Greenspan’s chocolate cupcakes with chocolate ganache. Happy early birthday John!
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment